Dandruff comes in the form of annoying white flakes, which fall from your head like fresh snow, covering everything in its vicinity. In medical terms, it’s known as seborrhea. The pesky problem is a common non-contagious condition wherein the skin starts to flake from areas rich in oil glands (usually the scalp). Anyone who has ever suffered from this knows what a pain this condition. Because we understand your struggle, we have curated a list of 10 effective tips to help control your dandruff.
1. Hair and scalp should always be clean.
Always keep your hair clean and save them from the harsh weather and pollutants. Wear a scarf/ hat/cap on your head while going out in the sun. Keeping your hair safe from pollutants will help them become stronger. Sweating is natural but excessive sweat can cause build up in your hair. Always dry out your hair after you exercise or after a particularly sweaty day. Lastly, never touch your scalp or hair with dirty hands if you’re suffering from dandruff.
2. Eat a healthy diet
Making a healthy choice can help improve the condition of your hair. Opt for food products rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, proteins and biotin. A diet rich in such foods would help maintain proper scalp and healthy hair. Eating fresh green leafy vegetables and fruits will also keep dandruff and infections at bay.
3. Use anti-dandruff home treatments religiously
Home treatments are an amazing option when it comes to treating dandruff. Although, severe cases are best left to experts. Try a variety of hair treatments to find what suits you best. Once you have found the most effective treatment for yourself, follow them religiously. Be patient, dandruff takes time to go away so to get the best results to use the treatments for a longer duration of time.
Some remedies are-
- Crush two tablets of the medicine, Aspirin, into a fine powder. Add the powder to your shampoo each time you wash your hair. Keep the mixture on for a few minutes and rinse well. Wash once more with plain shampoo to get all the medicine out of your hair. This medicine contains salicylic acid, which is a common ingredient in most of the anti-dandruff treatments and shampoo.
- Fight white flakes with white powder. The super ingredient found in your kitchen helps in reducing fungi that causes dandruff. Just take a few spoons of soda, add a little water to form a paste and rub it generously all over your scalp and rinse with water (skip the shampoo). You might find your hair a little drier than usual after the first few washes, but within a few weeks, they’ll start producing natural oils and be soft and fresh as ever.
- Adding a few drops of Tea tree oil to your regular shampoo will make a significant difference to your dandruff problem. Add a few drops and wash as usual.
- The acidic lemon is the best-known treatment to control dandruff. Simply apply some lemon juice to your scalp and let it sit for 30-40 minutes. Rinse with water. Follow this up with a lemon water rinse (Equal proportions of lemon juice and water). Repeat this routine daily until your dandruff disappears
4. Visit a dermatologist
Consult an experienced and reputed dermatologist if your dandruff problem spirals out of control. In such cases, an expert will be able to provide you with the best solution so don’t hesitate before consulting one.
5. Use anti-dandruff products and follow instructions properly
If you’re using anti-dandruff products, always read the instructions carefully. If the dermatologist has recommended the products, make sure to ask the doctor how and when to use the products. Some product is used in a gap of a few weeks, set a reminder so that you don’t mess up the dates. There is a reason the product lists certain instructions. Please follow them.
6. Do not use oil
The age-old remedy is good for almost all hair problems, except one, Dandruff. Contrary to the popular belief, oiling your hair won’t help you get rid of dandruff, rather it might just increase your problem. When the oil is applied to the hair, it forms a layer on the scalp that prevents moisture from entering the skin naturally. Blocked hair follicles ultimately lead to the formation of flakes and dandruff.
Washing your pillow cover and hairbrush tops the list when it comes to maintaining basic hygiene. Also not sharing these personal items with other people will also help to get rid of dandruff quickly and keep it at bay for longer.
8. Anti-dandruff hair lotions in the market
Along with anti-dandruff home remedies, use anti-dandruff hair lotions as well. Also, rinsing your comb/brush with an anti-bacterial cleanser is a good tip to keep your dandruff in check.
9. Hair care regimen
Follow a proper regime for your hair. Shampoo daily and use an anti-dandruff shampoo twice a week. If any single anti-dandruff shampoo doesn’t work for you, then try alternating between a few different ingredients to get the best results.
10. The hot towel therapy to cure dandruff
Take a towel big enough to cover your entire head. Submerge the towel in hot water for a few minutes and take it out. Wring out the excess water, wait for a minute or two till the towel becomes warm. (Do not put an extremely hot towel on your head) Cover your head with a towel for about 15-20 minutes and remove. This tip works like magic, best to try it out yourself!